Thursday, July 2, 2015

Cost of Kasich Veto Substantial

As I have reported, Gov. John Kasich decided to cut education funding with his veto pen a couple days ago. Now we know the district-by-district impact of those cuts, thanks to an Ohio Legislative Service Commission projection. Here's the bottom line:

  • Overall cut is $90.2 million
  • Cleveland is cut the most at more than $13 million
  • There are now 114 out of 612 districts that will receive less money in the 2016-2017 school year than the state sent them last school year
  • A total of 25 school districts will get cut by more than $1 million
  • Mayfield City Schools will see a 40% cut
  • Warrensville Heights -- one of the state's poorest districts -- will see a more than $1 million cut
And it's worse if you look at how schools have fared since the 2010-2011 budget. Now 263 districts will receive less money than they did during that Recession budget. If you adjust for inflation, there is now $187 million less money for schools than there was in the 2010-2011 budget and 334 districts receive less.

As I've said, Kasich's veto was devastating to schools and children. Districts need more than the year Kasich generously gave them to adjust to these cuts.

This is not the last thing I'd want families in my home state to remember as I launch a Presidential bid. But, then again, I'm not. So I could be wrong.